Last summer when Flo’s cardiac condition was diagnosed, her cardiologist gave us four months to a year. On Sunday Flo’s respirations increased and her breathing was a little more labored. I knew a visit to the vet was first in line for Monday morning.
Her heart has gotten a little bigger than the last x ray and she fluid on her lungs. The vet increased her lasix and she seems to be a little more comfortable.
While I was giving the dogs their morning run, I noticed that Joey was limping. A limp nearly always sends me into hysterics. They are rarely just a limp in our world. Joey will be 14 in May. Because he has always been so afraid of everything in his world, taking him to the vet is not an easy thing to do, in fact, to do anything with him involves some sedation. When I noticed a large lump behind his shoulder on his rib, I knew I had no choice but to take him a long with Flo.
The vet did x rays and a needle aspirate. We are still waiting for the biopsy results, but it’s about 95% conclusive we are looking at cancer. Because it is on the ribs, and Joey is so hard to do anything medical with and because he is nearly 14, we will do everything we can to keep him comfortable.
Just under Sara’s chin toward the back of her jaw is a hard, marble-sized lump. So yes, after taking Flo and Joey yesterday, it was back to the vet today with Sara. The vet did a needle aspirate and said that it wasn’t an infection, it is something we are going to have to surgically remove and we will send it in for a biopsy at that time.
Poor little Sara is scheduled for surgery January 2 unless it looks like it is getting bigger, in which case I will get her in sooner.
Every year I do a few calendars mostly for family. Every year I promise myself that I won’t wait until the last minute to do it. Every year on November 1 I’m panicking because I haven’t thought of a theme for the calendar.
Tonight I have some adoptable dogs come over for their photos and I took Flo out to my little rustic studio to see if she would grace me with the first photo for the season. She couldn’t have looked more beautiful.
One day she eats, the next day she doesn’t. One day we find the perfect pill-sneaker-inner, the next day she is wise to us and we are back to forcing her gigantic pill cocktail into her. We’ve added another one to settle her stomach thinking that her lack of appetite is from the all of the pills. We haven’t quite found the perfect balance for the lasix yet.
This one is really worrisome for us. One day on, one day off Flo.
I really wish Flo could tell us how she was feeling. I was gone most of the day yesterday, so I couldn’t really observe her. It seems that when she’s up, she’s her spunky little self. She eats like there is no tomorrow and barks her fool head off until her dinner bowl is placed before her.
At about 11 pm last night, she started to cough, her breathing was labored and she was really restless.
I panicked a bit, do we take her to the e-vet where they don’t have her records and would probably want to start testing from ground zero? Do we call our vet at home? And then, it dawned on me, she’s a cardio patient at Oregon State University. So we called the emergency number down there. They responded quickly, thankfully. They thought she was probably experiencing more symptoms of the congestive heart failure. They had us increase her lasix and give it to her last night. By 4 am this morning she was finally starting to relax a little and begin to rest. We were pretty scared.
She went in for another ekg and chest xray and lab work this morning and between our vet and OSU, they both concurred that she probably wasn’t on a high enough of dose of lasix.