The Adventure Gilkey Covered Bridge
Location LAT 44° 41′ 16.4″ N LON 122° 44′ 11.9″ W
Date March 29, 2009
Weather 52°, Sunny
Distance 26.0 miles
Built in 1936, the Gilkey bridge stands remarkably close to a railroad track. Up until 1960, the railroad bridge was also had a house.
Karen and Roxy make their maiden walk across the bridge.
Karen and Roxy walked up onto the railroad bridge.
Looking out at the railroad bridge from inside the Gilkey Bridge.
Nope, no trains coming down the track.
This is Broken Dam on Thomas Creek the original location of the Stayton-Jordon covered bridge. The dam once provided electricity to the town of Scio. It was also the location of a cheese factory, two mills and a general store. Only the broken dam remains.